If you’re getting ready to launch or redesign a new website, please please pleaseeee for the love of sweet baby Jesus read this. If you’re launching a new website or are redesigning one, this article will help explain the benefits of optimizing your website prior to its launch.
Many people have heard of search engine optimization (SEO), but maybe aren’t sure when to make the investment.
It’s actually more cost effective in the long run to invest in optimization as you’re building or redesigning a website rather than launching a website and investing in SEO years later.
Advantages of optimizing prior to its launch
Once you launch your website, Google will begin crawling and indexing your pages to understand what your website is about. If your website is optimized prior to it being launched, you are at an advantage because:
- Google likes well-structured websites
- Your website may load faster when it’s optimized
- SEO has the search engine and user in mind, which should improve the overall quality of your website…and Google is all about quality
- Performing SEO along with a pre-launch checklist can mitigate mistakes and improve website efficiency
Additionally, many website designers and developers aren’t usually well versed with the nuances and intricacies of SEO. This could mean that when you hire an SEO after your website is launched, they could find issues and make design or development recommendation changes that go along with quality guidelines. This potentially means an additional cost to you even after you shelled up a pretty penny to have a website done.
Let’s look at the importance of SEO for websites with some analogies. Because analogies are awesome and make things simpler.
SEO is like bacon.
Bacon fills your home with a delicious aroma. We love this smell due to the Maillard Reaction, but that’s a whole scientific thing that I won’t get into…
SEO is what fills your company with that delicious aroma of money. Who doesn’t like the aroma of bacon and money?!
SEO is also like being in high school.
The popular kid may have been the cheerleader or the football player (ugh, cliché, I know), but with SEO, it’s Google. Websites and your competitors are trying to win the popularity contest with Google.
As SEOs, we are doing everything we can to be in Google’s good graces and be noticed in its search results.
Why does a website need to be built with SEO in mind?
Websites need to be built and designed with SEO in mind for several reasons:
- SEO is optimizing for search engines and users. It’s important to know that SEO isn’t just about optimizing your website for search engines as its name might suggest. It’s also about optimizing your website for your ideal customers.
- Optimizing your website can help your ideal customers find you more easily online. And it can encourage them to choose you over your competitors.
- Incorporating SEO before a website launch helps create a strong foundation for the website. It’s like a well-oiled machine.
- You’ve invested in a beautiful new website, don’t shortchange yourself.
- Your competitors are very likely investing in SEO (remember the popularity contest thing we talked about?)
- A well-optimized website can earn more quality traffic and leads and improve user experience.
- SEO is quantifiable and measurable, so you’ll know it’s working.
What if I already launched my website and have never done SEO?
Don’t sweat it too much. A website can still largely benefit from SEO even if it’s never been properly optimized. Many times, SEOs come into the picture after a website is launched.
However, if you’re in a place where you’re thinking of redesigning your website or are building a new one, this article can shed light on the many advantages of incorporating SEO before a launch.
If you’re going to be launching a new website, the answer for when to incorporate SEO is…now.